Youth Chorus auditions for the 2017 spring season are now being scheduled.
Auditions will be at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, 8134 Mesa Drive, Austin, TX 78759, January 7 – 8th.
The Chorus Austin Youth Chorus is open to 5th through 9th grade students and is now accepting mixed voices. A schedule of rehearsal and performance dates and times will be available at auditions. Weekly rehearsals are from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Thursdays in the St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church choir room.
To schedule an audition, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in singing in the Chorus Austin Youth Chorus.
Auditions are conducted by Youth Chorus Director Diana Hopkins.
Each audition lasts approximately 10 minutes and includes 4 components: vocalization, tonal/rhythmic memory, sight-reading and performance.
- Vocalization: You will be led through a variety of basic warm ups.
- Tonal and rhythmic memory: A series of intervals will be played on the piano and you will sing them back. A series of rhythms will be clapped or tapped and you will clap or tap them back. Each test will get longer and more difficult.
- Sight-reading: You will sing a brief excerpt at first sight with the syllable(s) of your choice.
- Performance: You will be asked to sing “My Country ’Tis of Thee” a cappella.
- Youth Chorus rehearsals are held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, 8134 Mesa Drive, Austin, TX 78759. Saturday rehearsals are held occasionally throughout the year. Rehearsals on concert weeks will be held at performance venues. Members receive a calendar with all rehearsal and performance details upon acceptance.
- Dues for the entire 2016-2017 Youth Chorus are $250, due September 30, 2016. A two-installment plan is available upon request.
- Chorus Austin members purchase their own music through Chorus Austin. Music dues for the year are provided at the start of each full season.
- Uniforms are standard for the organization and are purchased through Chorus Austin. Estimated costs are $50 for girls and $70 for boys. Black dress shoes (flats for girls) are also required.